What you’ll learn
- Find inspiration for your book covers as well as free, cheap or premium images without infringing upon someone else’s copyright
Understand the technical terms used in image design such as image size, file size, aspect ratios and color modes as well as what file type to use when uploading to your chosen platforms.
Know the current specifications for a print book, eBook and catalog covers on major platforms like Amazon and Smashwords.
- Design an eBook catalog cover in Canva using either a template or your own specifications and images
- Work out the specifications for a paperback book cover or generate one in Createspace, and then design your cover in Canva with a little image manipulating in Gimp.
- Set up and design book covers in Gimp using layer masks and blends modes to create interesting effects.
- Convert your catalog cover images and paperback book cover images to a suitable size to embed within your ebooks.